Tuesday, January 20, 2009

the audacity of hope

some people said it couldn't be done. few believed it would actually happen. but last friday my world was turned upside down. the unthinkable sprang forth into the world of actuality.

staples called me back. i start on friday. yes we can! (have shitty part-time jobs!)

as dan and i were in the parking lot of kmart looking to buy spray paint so dan could do some stenciling (read: put anarchy signs on predominant kent buildings), i got a call from a number i didn't recognize but somehow knew very well.

the unsure and sedated voice on the other end of the line i immediately recognized as dan, the man who gave me my first interview and my soon to be new boss. he asked if i could come in on friday to watch training videos and start on paperwork. i said sure, with the excitement of an inmate who just got his 11 year sentence shortened down to 9. i mean, on the one hand its a job. and on the other its at staples, where i'm sure if i applied myself i could be manager in about two and a half months. either way i've already likened this experience to two years of probation and i can only assume it will ring true.

the biggest thing that i worry about, though, is the slim chance that i'm going to love it. that starting at my training i will be one hundred percent in love with my position at staples. i'll learn the cash register, master the color copier and soon enough i'll be the assistant manager, signing a lease on a new kia and trying to pump up the sales staff on the latest sale on usb cables.

what if that fucking happens? what if i just get an apartment in twinsburg and start eating at mavis winkle's like every other tuesday? what if i take a bride that works at staples? what if grow a moustache? what if you have to grow a moustache to work at staples long-term? what if i have to buy black walking shoes? WHAT IF I BUY TWO PAIRS OF BLACK WALKING SHOES?

i guess time can only tell if my fears will be realized. friday at 8 am will start the great experiment. for my sake, i'm pretty sure i'll be miserable but content. it'll give me some source of minimal income and help break up the monotony of my busy week, full of watching tv and a constant sense of uneasiness that can only come from being 25 and living in your parents' house.

6 comments:

emr said...

the biggest thing that i worry about, though, is the slim chance that i'm going to love it. that starting at my training i will be one hundred percent in love with my position at staples.

this, my friend, is why i fucking love and miss you in my life. also, there's a bag on your car.

johnny said...

you know that 3rd to last paragraph? the one where you're afraid of getting sucked into the sorry world of retail drama? now consider the state of constant fear in which i live due to my "msa! msa!" mentality.

congrats and bon chance!

Anonymous said...

mavis winkle is a whore. you are going to miss the shoe store.

Anonymous said...

you had me at audacity.

PS- thanks for the closure.
on my answering machine.

-chelsea

Zombie Proof Architecture said...

Awesome blog dude. My office will hate you for it.

BTW in your profile you list your favorite book as “Danny Glover” now is that “Danny Glover : an Underdog story (I’m Getting to Old For This Shit)” or the follow up “Danny Glover and Ray Liotta: Together at Last.”

Dan said...

gold.